Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I Have AT&TGatewayDSL with 4 ports, and 5 computers at work. Do I need to add a 10/100 switch?

How would you connect these 5 computers to the gateway using Ethernet cable?



I Have AT%26TGatewayDSL with 4 ports, and 5 computers at work. Do I need to add a 10/100 switch?antivirus software



OPTION 1



I have not used this DSL but the fact that it has 4 LAN ports indicates you can connect your PCs directly to it. If so, then, you would need to uplink the DSL to a 10/100 switch or an ethernet Hub (4-port may suffice). Use LAN cable to connect the DSL to the 4-port swich (the DSL manual may indicate crossed or straight cable. if it does not specify then try either).



The above will give you 6 free LAN ports (3 free ports on the DSL and 3 free ports on the switch) to connect your 5 computers.



OPTION 2



If your DSL does not do IP routing (that allows your 5 computers to access Internet) then it would be most ideal that you purchase a SOHO router that has 8 LAN ports on it. If so, then: use UTP cable (as in option 1) to connect the DSL to the 8-port Router. You would have 7 LAN ports free to use with your 5 computers.



I hope either of the above proves helpful.



I Have AT%26TGatewayDSL with 4 ports, and 5 computers at work. Do I need to add a 10/100 switch?computer virus



You do need a hub, a switch or maybe a router. I am not sure if the ''AT%26TGatewayDSL'' can assign IP to your computers or not. I will say an 8-port router would probably be a better idea. Once you have the router in place, all you need to do is connect Ethernet cables. They should just work like that with minimum configurations required.
Well...the best option would be to get ur own router with ur specification and connect it to the AT%26TGatewayDSL. Also make sure that u configure the AT%26TGatewayDSL to the bridge mode.
You would need a Hub or a Router



  • special beauty salons
  • natural remedies for pimple
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment