Wednesday, August 18, 2010

My website appears to one side on other peoples computers?

How can i fix this so my front page is in the centre on all computers as this is my first proper site..thanks



My website appears to one side on other peoples computers?network security



Download the major browsers and test your site with all of them before releasing it to the world. You'll probably find there is a difference in the way coding is translated by different browsers.



Keep your code simple, cut bits at a time to a spare document (so you can paste them back) and recheck your document until you find what is causing the difference.



I can also guess you have set IIS up on your own machine to test your pages but your are uploading to a Apache based site. As Apache is far more common out there in website land , may I suggest installing Apache, PHP and MySQL to your computer to test?



Good luck. If things get too problematical contact me again and I'll go over the code with you.



My website appears to one side on other peoples computers?norton internet security



Isofarro is correct. You must text-align: centre the parent element (normally done on the body) and also margin :auto the main container to ensure cross browser compatibility.
In which browsers? Internet explorer 6 doesn't support the margin: 0 auto way of centering items on a page (so you have to text-align: center the parent container, and text-align: left the div you want centered). Also consider the browser width if you are faking the centering by adding a specific margin.

No comments:

Post a Comment