Wednesday, August 18, 2010

My internet speed is the same as the speed I get between computers in house. How is that possible?

This is more of a followup of my last question. I did a speed test using dslreports.com using my desktop connected via a linksys usb wireless G and with cat5. I also did this test with one of my laptops. The speeds were all faster than the stated speeds for my plan. The wireless was actually rated faster than the wired. I am getting around 6Mbps which is what I get during downloads. The problem is that when transferring between computers on my lan speed is the same speed most of the time. I have done wifi laptop to wifi desktop, cat5 laptop to cat5 desktop, and any other combination. They all transferred at the same rate except for when I connected my laptop via cat5 and my desktop via wireless which was twice as fast.



I am thinking that my wireless router isn't routing very quickly no matter how the computers are connected. My router is a Linksys WRT54G with DDWRT for firmware. Are other routers better at Lan throughput?



My internet speed is the same as the speed I get between computers in house. How is that possible?antivirus



Hate to say this. But wireless is unlikely to ever be as fast as wired. For example verision in some areas offers Net access using fiber optics. Now there is some speed!

No comments:

Post a Comment